A Commitment to 2015

1.01.2015


2015 is here my friends.  I can't help but sit here and think about all that this year will hold.  Joy, Laughs, Opportunities, Accomplishments, Friendships, Memories.  I get excited when I think about the new music that I will listen to, the new places I will travel, the new people I will meet, new restaurants I will discover, the new things I will try.  All measured within this little section of time we call a year.

Of course, with a new year comes the feeling of a fresh start and with that fresh start comes the resolutions.  We've all made them, we've all broken them.  Honestly, I have several things I would like to see myself accomplish in 2015.  Some really general and expected, some more personal and  scary to share in this space.  With that said, I thought it might be fun to do a resolution together, with you, the readers of "The Kids Down Under."

One of my goals for the year is to memorize a new Bible verse each month.  I thought it would be fun to have several other people in my life doing the same. We could encourage and hold each other accountable.

The value of meditating and knowing God's word is immeasurable.  There is so much in this world that comes into our minds and hearts and etches itself there.  Some of it really good, some of it pretty worthless (I highly doubt knowing every lyric to All About that Bass is really doing me a lot of good).  So I decided, I want to make sure that by the end of 2015, I have etched some good in my heart.  Some good that will stick with me and guide me for a lifetime.  And that's where the goal to memorize a verse a month came to mind.

In the past I have taken part in Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory Team Challenge.  I highly recommend it!  Beth challenges her readers to memorize 24 Bible verses in a year, two each month.  I am going to admit, I was really good at remembering to get a new verse each time I turned the calendar page, but I would always forget on the 15th of each month to find a new one, and would often find I still didn't have my 1st one down.  So I thought, "tis better to know 12 than to know nothing at all." Time to insert a new game plan:

This year, I wanted to create some memory cards that I could download, print off, and place all around my house, so that my day was filled with God's word and hopefully by the end of the month, I will truly have the verse hidden in my heart.

So how can you get involved?  Well it is pretty simple.  First off, if you want to use the verse I am using each month, all you have to do is download the the card (available here), print, and cut.  I made them small enough that you could stick them in lots of places.  The bathroom mirror, on your car steering wheel, next to your computer screen, and of course one for the kitchen sink.  They are also the perfect size to slip into a project life album (just in case you're into that like me), or glue/tape into your own prayer journal.

OR

You can come up with your own verse that has personal meaning to you at this point in your life.

Whatever you do, chose a verse that speaks something to you.  On the 1st of each month, there will be a blog post here with my new verse for the month, as well as a little explanation into why I am choosing it.  Feel free to post your month's verse in the comments or possibly your thoughts on the verse that I have chosen.

Phew...that was a lot of explaining, but I hope you're excited, because now we are to the good stuff.  The January Verse:

One day when I was reading, I stumbled upon this verse and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  It tells me that every single thing I do, I should commit it to God, which means, let Him take control, allow Him to guide my steps, seek him for wisdom in my decisions.  And when I do that, when I seek what He is desiring for my life, my plans will be established.

So I started with my day:
I woke up and said, God I commit this day to you.
I put on my running shoes and said, God I commit this workout to you.
I went home and made some breakfast, I decided to commit my food to God, letting him guide my choices.
Dane came home, I committed our conversation to God, allowing him to help my words be loving & kind.
I began my work day and committed it to him, letting God be the one who filled me with creativity, direction & wisdom.

The day went on and on and on and I continued to try and commit whatever I was doing to God, allowing Him to establish what happened next.

It really was a beautiful day.

Honestly, I don't do this everyday.  I should, but I don't.  But I find myself, when struggling in something, when I stop and commit it to God, seeking what He desires for my life, it works out so much better than me trying to meander my way through.

So then I realized, I want to commit my 2015 to God.  Letting Him establish my plans.  And so that's the way I am trying to approach this year, excited to see what sort of heart journey He takes me on.

So there it is, a little insight I have into my verse for January.  I really really really do hope you'll join me in this, and if you do, please drop me a line and let me know how it is going.

Happy New Year Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment