One is the Loneliest Number

9.24.2013



Isn't that one of the most depressing songs on the face of the earth?  Truth is, we aren't designed to be alone.  Wait, don't stop reading because your single and you think this is some post about how you need to find someone.  I know everything in the world is telling you that all of the time (trust me, I have been there).  This has nothing to do with lovely dovey relationships but everything to do about community.

I never realized the value of community until I moved to a part of the world where I didn't know a single person for thousands and thousands of miles.  (7,488 miles to be more accurate).  And so here are Dane and I, alone.  Just chilling in our little house, with absolutely nothing and nobody.  And then there was a knock on the door.  Our community had started.  Enter Greg.  The most gracious and generous man who provided us two strangers with a bed, couch, table, TV, bust most importantly, friendship.

As our time in Australia went on our community grew little by little but I would have to accredit most of that to our Connect Group.  Yes, this lovely picture you are looking at is our church connect group.  Nothing but love for all of em'.    A beautiful group of people representing so many different things:  Different Countries, Backgrounds, Facebook Relationships Status, Languages, Ages, Interests, Hobbies, Professions, and Dreams.  And I love doing this journey with them.

If there is one thing I have learned while in Australia it is the importance of not just doing church life on Sunday mornings, but actually doing life together outside of church walls.  You know, getting into one another's nitty gritty.  Eat together, pray together, laugh together, drink coffee together, shop together, go to movies together, cry together, be real together.  God designed us for this.  Community is part of God's plan for us, and I am hoping it is part of your life as well.

If you find yourself humming the tune "one is the loneliest number" a little too often, hit me up, because I know a place and a group of people who would love to get to know you and your nitty gritty.



"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up on meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another." Hebrews 10:24-25


No comments:

Post a Comment