It's Hot Out There!

8.20.2014

August has set in folks!  To be honest, it hasn't been that hot this summer.  I don't know if we've broke into the triple digits yet, and for that I am thankful, but today was close.  And when it is that hot, it is important to stay hydrated.  Here at our house we've been trying to keep it interesting by experimenting with infused waters.  We've always been a fan of the standard lemon + cucumber + mint water, but we decided to mix it up a bit and see what we came up with.  

Orange + Ginger
I had never experimented with ginger until moving to Australia, and all of my housemates cooked with it.  I came to love the flavor it added to foods and thought it would be fun to try in water.  This water was super refreshing and energizing.  Ginger is great for the immune system and orange provides natural energy!  So if you're feeling a little drained in the middle of the day, try reaching for this instead of a can of cola.  


Grapefruit + Rosemary
So we have been doing different infused waters to share whenever we have dinner guests over.  It has been a really fun conversation piece, and I'm a sucker for a good conversation starter.  I knew this combination would be a risk, but thought why not.  The results?  Well Dane and our dinner guests loved it, and I didn't care for it.  I felt the grapefruit was way too overpowering, and this is coming from a girl who loves grapefruit.  Everyone who loved it told me they normally don't eat grapefruit but found this drink very refreshing.
 Blueberry + Mint
This drink was created because I liked the colors.  When you add the blueberries they float around a bit, almost like a a lava lamp.  Sadly, the blueberries never really infused so the only flavor I really tasted was mint.  The blueberries were fun to eat though.  They exploded kind of like bubble tea tapioca balls.


Strawberry + Basil

Overall, I would say this has been our favorite one.  It doesn't take that many strawberries to get a fantastic sweet flavor in the drink and the basil adds an unexpected twist.  Make sure to drink this water within the day because the strawberries get kind of gross if they are in there longer than that.  I love how this drink turns a fun shade of pink...the perfect baby shower beverage right?

Now it is your turn!  Get a jug, jar, pitcher, and start infusing!  I would love to know what you try and how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment